Saturday, June 6, 2009

Baby On Board

In the list of things I love to do most travelling is close to the top. I don’t think there are many experiences more valuable than seeing the world. Of course I want Gaia to be intelligent and beautiful and kind, but most of all, I want her to travel. I want her to have a sense of adventure, a confidence in her independence and empathy that is deep rooted. I know that traveling is what brought those skills to life in me. There’s nothing like realising that there are landscapes dramatically unlike those you are used to and people whose experiences differ so greatly from yours. I want her to eat pizza with fresh buffalo mozzarella in Italy, to ride camels in Egypt, dance the night away at Carnivale in Rio, swim with the jellyfish in Palau, wander the Turkish market, visit every art gallery in New York and drive along the coast of South Africa. I want her to visit every place I’ve ever been and more and I want her to fall in love with them all.

They say every great adventure starts with single step. I helped Gaia take hers the day we applied for her Canadian passport. I felt like I was giving her a gift – the beginning of a lifetime of globetrotting at just two months old. Today we took step two as we boarded her very first flight. Sure it was domestic. Sure it was only two hours long. But it was a big deal. She immediately proved herself by facing a huge check-in line up with ease. She quietly hung from her carrier on my chest and sized up her fellow travellers. She brushed off the coos and tickles of strangers with polite indifference. She was on a mission. Security was a breeze once she charmed the surly guard searching her stroller. In the hour and half from the time when we got to the airport when we boarded she didn’t fuss once. As we slid into our seat I could see her survey the scene. The baby crying in the seat behind us was obviously not a kindred spirit. That much she could tell. When the flight attendant made me promise to hold her facing in against my chest for takeoff and landing I could see her balk but she took it all in stride. Obviously she has a sophisticated understanding of the fact that not all aspects of travel are pleasant. She silently looked out the window at takeoff every once in awhile glancing at the seatbelt sign to ensure I wasn’t sneaking extra cuddles. For the rest of the flight she bounced and giggled and laughed at all my jokes. She was the ultimate travel companion. She dozed straight through the landing, but woke up just in time to hear the accolades from our fellow adventurers.

“Wow,” they said “she did such a good job!”

“Thanks,” I replied, beaming with joy they probably misread, “she loves to travel.”

2 comments:

  1. That's super!

    Did you have her in the sling through security?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup... since it's entirely cloth we didn't have to take it off. The amazingness of the Blue Celery Sling knows no bounds.

    ReplyDelete