Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Baby Fat

Although Gaia was average at birth she quickly dropped to a dangerous weight. The Public Health Nurse was alarmed, friends and family made jokes about how “she definitely doesn’t take after her mother” and even I had to admit my newborn was a tad gangly. Instead of a plump, rosy baby, I had one who was long and lean without a discernable ounce of fat on her. Her skin even sagged like that of an anorexic actress, bones jutting from her hips, ribs clearly visible. At her four-week check up she was in the fifth percentile for weight. I was more then a little concerned. Of course she made her way to a healthy weight eventually and now it appears she’s on track to tip the scales in the other direction. Just last week I noticed her BabyLegs were cutting off circulation in her ample thighs. I simply shimmied them down below her knees and didn’t think much of it. Of course I’ve noticed she’s getting harder and harder to lug around and that she’s rapidly growing out of her three to six month clothing but it wasn’t until last night that it really hit me. I put her in the Bumbo while I made myself dinner, as I always do. I was shocked when I went to pick her up a few minutes later and found her baby thighs firmly wedged in the Bumbo leg holes. That’s right ladies and gentleman, her thighs have grown to such an glorious size she’s getting stuck in a baby seat designed for infants exactly her age. Turns out she takes after me after all.

Gaia's Thighs - Four-Weeks Old (in a Premie-Sized Onesie)

Gaia's Thighs - Fourteen-Weeks Old

4 comments:

  1. Lovely... but does she have a BUM yet? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly... no... she's never going to be able to find a pair of jeans that fit with her thighs and absolutely no bum... maybe I should make friends with a tailor now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like her chubby thighs. That's how babies are supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I imply I dislike her chubby thighs? I believe I refered to them as "glorious".

    ReplyDelete