Saturday, June 13, 2009

Baby Weight?

I can’t remember a time when I wore a single digit size. In fact, part of me suspects I was born a size ten and the numbers have been slowly climbing since then. I know why I gain weight. I have a passionate love affair with good food. I blame it on my father who introduced me to a world of culinary delights as a child. Plus I’ve never met a cheese I didn’t like. When I started university in 2001 I thought I was gigantic. Looking back I was actually on the healthier side of average. My jeans were a comfortable size ten which is nothing to scoff at for a girl with hips like mine. By the time I completed my six-year-degree and finally graduated (finally) I was going through a gymnastics routine every morning to get my size sixteen jeans to do up. I refused to bite the bullet and buy a size up. At size sixteen I could still shop at The GAP, if I gave in and went to a ‘big girl store’ I was afraid it’d be a slippery slope to Mom-Jeans and muumuus. I knew the fact my jeans left permanent impressions in my belly was a little ridiculous, I just pretended not to care. I left university sixty pounds heavier then I’d arrived and I’d finally pushed the scale over two hundred pounds. Things were getting excessive.

Leaving for university in 2001

Leaving for ships in 2007

When I came home from my first contract on ships I was inextricably fifteen pounds lighter. I chalked it up to a strict diet of Corona and controversy. Sustenance was placed on the backburner as I became consumed with living a life of excess and melodrama. Somehow I managed to keep the weight off during my two months of vacation. Even more shocking was the additional thirty pounds I lost during my next contract. Having gotten a promotion, it wasn’t a beer and drama diet that did it this time, it was sixteen-hour workdays and repeatedly jogging up ten flights of stairs to get from my cabin to Adventure Ocean because I’MJUSTTOOBUSYTOWAITFORTHEELEVATOR. Neither strategy was the healthiest but I felt good. I was still fifteen pounds away from where I’d been completely healthy and thirty pounds from my ultimate goal, but I took pride in my size twelve jeans. In my last months on the ship I started eating well (not just eating very little) and Jose and I went to the gym almost every day. I even found myself turning away dessert (my favourite part of any meal). I had big plans.

A few weeks after signing off of The Navigator of the Seas - Almost 3 Weeks Pregnant (who knew?)

Then I got pregnant. Determined not to succumb to the “I’m pregnant so I can eat what I want” trap I tried my best to stay on the healthy eating bandwagon. Sweets were my major vice, but I rationalised that eating an entire sheet cake in one sitting was probably not going to kill me. Right? I did everything I could to stay active. I did yoga three times a week and went on walks and never let the pregnancy be an excuse at my often active job. I felt proud at my six month check up when I’d only gained seven pounds. My ultrasound showed the baby was just the right size and developing perfectly. I decided all my best efforts must mean that I was losing weight while my fetus took all the nutrients. This suited me just fine.

Then I went to Peru. To this day I’m not entirely sure how it happened. It might have been the Inca Kola, the cookies or the ice cream bars I consumed in bed every day pre and post-nap. Or maybe it was the fries I had with every meal? Regardless when I got back to Canada and back to my doctor for my seven month check up I had gained a whooping ten pounds. “Okay. No big Deal.” I thought. “Seventeen pounds is nothing during pregnancy.” And it wasn’t.

Two days before Gaia was born.

Then I gave up. By the time I hit seven and a half months I was so sick of being pregnant I ate whatever I wanted, mainly to make myself feel better. I started sleeping through yoga and gave up on walks and I even took the elevator up one floor at work more than once. By the time Gaia was born I had gained a total of almost thirty pounds. I still weighed less then when I’d graduated university but just barely. I hadn’t expected miracles but when I weighed myself for the first time post-pregnancy I was down over fifteen pounds. “At this rate,” I thought “I’ll be back into my old jeans in no time.” Sigh. Not only have I not lost a single additional pound since then, I’ve actually gained five more. Not to mention the fact that my belly, which even at my heaviest had been reasonably flat, is now sad and droopy. Distantly reminded of squishing a sleeping bag into it’s too-small casing every time I tried to get into my jeans I began living in yoga pants.

Last night I went to dinner with I friend. We were chatting when I looked down and realised I was casually rubbing my belly. Even more shocking was that it appeared to be about the same size it had been at around the five-month mark of my pregnancy. Sure I haven’t been watching what I eat. The aforementioned meal had a caloric content I don’t dare think about. Still, I just had a baby right? Ummm... sort of. The’ just’ in ‘just had a baby’ is getting to be a bit of a stretch and somehow I don’t think the excuse holds much weight anymore. It’s gotten to the point that continuing to refer to my extra chub as “baby weight” is laughable. Instead of blaming the baby, perhaps I should face facts. I think the real culprit might be the gigantic cookie and frappacino I had for breakfast this morning. Or maybe it was the quesadilla oozing delicious cheese I just snacked on. Hmmm. It’s true that the moments I actually find myself able to cook are rare. Also true is the lack of opportunities to go to the gym. Still, I know I could be taking better care of myself. I’m choosing not to.

Weight is such a sensitive topic, one I’m especially aware of now that I have a daughter. The last thing I want is for my struggles with weight to have any impact of Gaia’s view of her own body. Still, she deserves a healthy mother. My husband deserves a confident wife. Hell, I deserve to feel what it’s like to zip up my pre-baby jeans again. I’m not planning on getting obsessive or anything but it seems clear that now that I’ve found myself in yoga pants on a Friday night, rubbing my belly while I casually eye the cheesecake at the table beside me I’m sliding down the aforementioned slope that ends in Mom-Jeans and muumuus. It may seem vain, but there’s no way I’m I going to nab MILF status if I keep wandering down that slope. And you can deny it all you want but don’t pretend you don’t want to be a MILF too.

1 comment:

  1. WHAT??? Are you telling me that just because my baby is 24 years old I can no longer blame my baby weight on him???? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete