Me – What did you think of the work we saw today at the gallery Gaia-bear?
Baby G – Well mother, I particularly enjoyed the Ted Godwin paintings. The pieces were so animated and intense. I can certainly see why he called the execution of these works “the big attack”. I think that phrase can have so many meanings... an attack on the accepted art forms of the day and a look towards innovation obviously, but also an attack on the senses, a nod to the experience of the viewer as they look at his work. I found they had great emotional power.
Me – Wow.
Baby G – Indeed. I also think it’s so inspiring, as a child growing up in Saskatchewan, to be exposed to such an important Canadian artist and see the work he produced right here in Regina. It makes me feel encouraged and reminds me that I don’t need to live in a major metropolis to make an impact on the world around me...
Me – I agree... I was thinking about that too and...
Baby G – Umm mama, I wasn’t quite finished.
Me – Oh. Of course. Sorry.
Baby G – As I was saying I think it’s so important to remember that you can be a part of something innovative no matter where you live. I look at the Godwin paintings and think about the Regina Five and I just feel so optimistic. It makes me think of Regina’s important place in Canadian Art History and about the gallery and what an integral role it plays in community education.
Me – Well yes. I’m glad you realise that. It’s just a shame that more people don’t take the opportunity to go to the gallery when it is such a great resource.
Baby G – Of course. I felt that went without saying.
She’s napping now and I’m left marvelling at the level of her observations. She’s obviously an art prodigy.
Ted Godwin: The Regina Five Years, 1957-1967 is on at the MacKenzie Art Gallery until August 30, 2009. Douglas Morton – Re: Surfacing, For Emily and Dana Claxton: Buffalo Bone China are also on for the summer. Please go see them. Admission is free and they really are inspiring.
Wow, what a smarty pants! Good to know she is enjoying Regina culture!
ReplyDelete