Not to fear, I haven’t completely mutated into some 1950s housewife. I still plan to toss said muffins at my children as we run out the door on the way to school (them)/a super satisfying career (me). Luckily a good family friend and secondary mother figure passed on a recipe for delicious muffins that even I feel I can master. Yesterday I got together with some Mommy friends and made a huge batch. From what I could tell they looked pretty easy to make. Of course, I took a backseat in the actual prep opting to measure the ingredients that most closely resembled candy (raisins and craisins and dates oh my). On my own away from the real action I operated on a strict one for you, one for me policy. I have hopes for domestic competence but feel baby steps are best.
Take it from me, normally I hate anything with bran on the ingredients list, but these muffins are super tasty. And the best thing about them, the batter can save in the fridge for up to six weeks, thereby stretching my once monthly attempts at baking and creating the illusion that I’m domestic goddess. When Gaia’s old enough to appreciate it (and you know... eat solid foods) I have big plans throw a batch of these in the oven a few mornings a week. Until then I’ve got a stockpile in my freezer to enjoy.
_image1.jpg)
6 WEEK BRAN MUFFINS FROM LANA'S KITCHEN
6 cups combination of Bran Flakes Cereal, All Bran Cereal, Natural Bran
2 cups boiling water
Place cereals and water in bowl and let stand.
1 cup margarine/butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
4 cups buttermilk (can substitute 1% milk)
1/4 cup molasses (optional)
Cream butter, add sugars. Beat eggs in one at a time. Add buttermilk and molasses. Stir in cereal mixture.
5 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups raisins
2 cups combination of craisins and chopped dates
Mix thoroughly and add to batter.
Fill muffin tins lined with greased paper muffin liners. Fill full to top and some above (this batter does not rise up as it bakes). Bake 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes.
In honour of our adventures in baking Gaia debuted her own muffin top in her first pair of jeans. My muffin top was also in attendance but thankfully remained unphotographed.
No comments:
Post a Comment