Of course I know I’m being “rewarded” in this instance for a lifetime of refusing to cuddle with my own mother but honestly, it’s devastating. Who doesn’t want to cuddle with their soft, sweet-smelling baby girl? If anything it’s a mother’s right and one that Gaia repeatedly denies me. After her first week of indulging me by napping lazily on my chest, Gaia quickly began refusing to be held close. My attempts at co-sleeping were laughable as she did everything but say “seriously Mama, you need to back off, I’m trying to sleep and you gazing at me lovingly is beyond annoying”. Her rolled eyes said it all. My excitement is palpable when she falls asleep during a feeding. I wait for her to go limp stretched out on her back across my arm and carefully, ever so slowly shift her to my chest so I can hold her close. I barely get a sniff of her perfect baby head and she’s wide awake, doing her best Stevie Wonder impression* as she frantically turns her head and tries to come up with an escape plan. In the morning while scooping her out of bed I almost get close enough to kiss her chubby cheek and she’s pushing me away. Didn’t think a two month old baby had the coordination or drive to push her mother’s face away? Mine does. And it’s not just cuddly naps and morning kisses she detests, she’s also doing everything in her power to prepare her little baby legs for walking, surely so someday very soon she can walk away from me. Pumping and kicking in continuous motion she reminds me of a wind-up toy being held above the ground. If I let her go I secretly fear she’d zip across the floor. Baby carriers that warn against the forward facing position for the under three-month set have obviously never met my child. I have to shirk the warnings in fear of her little baby wrath should I make her turn in towards me and miss the big wide world she’s so eager to explore. The list of ways she desperately tries to be independent doesn’t end. If I didn’t know better I’d swear I gave birth to a seven year old in the underdeveloped body of an infant.
* Just in case you needed a visual on the Stevie Wonder reference... enjoy.
I know some of you might find my heartbreak more then a little annoying. Even I wonder what right I have to complain since a newborn who isn't clingy enough is my biggest baby issue. Not to worry though, if I get what I deserve in the teenage years I’ve got a lot of sleepless nights ahead of me.
UPDATE: I just got an email from Momma Pants, my first (and thus far only) Mommy-friend. Apparently Gaia’s Stevie Wonder impression might be a sign she’s overtired. Thankfully it’s not just invaluable advice she’s doling out, I’m also the proud borrower of a magic swing that put Gaia to sleep for over three hours this afternoon. If you’re not lucky enough to have friends like her (or even if you are) make sure to read her blog – By the Seat of Mom’s Pants – I can’t imagine a more informed mother and, just your luck, she’s funny too.
No one will ever question that Gaia is your child, we have been friends for years and years and I think we've hugged twice
ReplyDelete