One of the perils of having a baby with a partner who lives four thousand, six hundred and twenty five miles away is a decided drop off in personal hygiene (thanks again Canadian government). Back when Gaia was napping for a solid three to five hour chunk every afternoon I was managing to shower regularly. Now that she’s abandoned napping almost all together I’ve had to get creative. Lately our routine has me putting her in her chair at the bathroom door and playing peek-a-boo behind the curtain as I frantically wash. Alas, yesterday she was in such a cranky baby mood that I knew our routine was a no go. By the time her bedtime hit I felt disgusting so I did what any inventive new mama would do. I ran a bath for two. Until now I’ve been too scared to bathe with Gaia. I learned quickly that wet babies are slippery and always felt it best to have one of us with two dry feet planted firmly on the ground. Still, I decided to take a chance.
I lowered us both in the water and I waited. Gaia looked up at me, obviously wondering what the big deal was. Before I knew it I was bouncing her and pulling her through the water and she was positively giddy with delight. Then it happened. I got sloppy. In my co-bathing bliss I let my guard down and lost my grip on Gaia. I watched as her happy little face slid under the water. It only lasted a second but panic washed over me in waves. Of course I knew she’d be OK, but I was sure that in one moment of carelessness I had just ruined my high hopes of her loving the water. Perhaps I was being a tad melodramatic. I pulled her back out of the water and apologised as earnestly as I could. I expected a pouty lip and tears at the least, full blown cries of course and obviously a look of deep seeded mistrust in her eyes. Instead, she blinked for a minute, blew a few raspberries and sneezed. Little streams of water poured from her nose and she smiled as if to say “that was fun... let’s do it again!”
Now I feel justified in the fact that my ten week old baby owns three bathing suits. 2028 Summer Olympics here we come.
Let's go to the Ladner pools (yes, two, one inside and one outside) and the water park when you are here, they are so fun (especially with a baby), and they are salt water and not chlorine!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness... this makes me so excited I just peed a little.
ReplyDelete