Monday, September 14, 2009

Easily Irritated?

Note to Readers: This post contains the word vagina and a brief nod to the fact I might have had sex once before and plan to do so again in the future. If this seems like it might be verging on TMI then please avert your eyes. Dad, I'm looking at you here.

In addition to sorting out my iPod I thought I should also give birth control some consideration now that I'll be in the same country as my husband. Not that we don't love Gaia but somehow I don't think the "what are the chances?" form of contraception is gonna cut it anymore. I know, I know, you'd think I was sixteen*. Anyway. Apparently birth control is a hot topic at the moment because not only did I read a topical post from my favourite Mommy-blogger this morning but I also had a chat about NuvaRing with a friend the other day. The fact that her doctor suggested it knowing she, like me, hates the pill was enough to warrant giving it a little of my google time before seeing my own doctor this Wednesday. As far as I can tell it seems pretty similar to the pill except you don't have to remember to actually take a pill every day (which was never my issue). Then I stumbled upon something I've never seen before, among the list of conditions that might make NuvaRing a not so great option was a warning for women who suffered from "any condition that makes the vagina get irritated easily." Hmmm.

Well I'll tell you, its not real happy with Immigration Canada either. I guess NuvaRing's not for us.

* Seriously. I'm obsessed with MTV's 'Sixteen and Pregnant' and every single girl is like "well, we used protection about half the time but he didn't really like it and then we just thought it wouldn't happen to us" and I simultaneously judge them while attempting to feel superior because COME ON, the doctor told me I probably wouldn't get pregnant without fertility therapy. I say attempting because by the end of the episode I'm always hit with the realisation that the only thing that separates me and these girls is the fact that I'm twenty-seven and they're still in highschool.

3 comments:

  1. One thing I never used to consider but that I do now is the environmental effects of my birth control method. Whatever hormones you put in come out and enters the ecosystem. Hence the boy frogs turning to girl frogs.

    No judgment should you choose to go the hormonal method-- the feminist in me is as strong as the environmentalist-- it's just a consideration that is rarely discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IUD, Merena is so awesome Risa, you can keep it in for five years, and you don't have to do a thing after it's in. I heart mine :)Plus, as for the hormone thing, it's only got 1/7th the amount of hormones as the pill, and it doesn't get interrupted if you have to take anti-biotics.

    Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am nuvaring. I am on day 1. Aparently I don't understand my own anatomy as I was convinced it would be somewhere other than where it sits. I'll send another update in a weeks time but I'm not sure if this is for me. The commercial is catchy though.

    ReplyDelete