Saturday, January 2, 2010

Feliz Año

When I was in high school I wanted to be a writer. To travel the world and drink wine in the wee hours and spend weeks with lovers who I didn’t understand all while wearing really expensive shoes. I wanted to weave stories about life and love and adventure that I’d seen with my own eyes. Some throw away words from a teacher about how often I became “wordy and a tad self-indulgent” gave me doubts. When I went to university, fully enrolled in the Creative Writing program, the thought of sitting through classes where my peers critiqued the words I’d poured over turned my doubts into fears. I quit. I focussed on someone else’s art. Years and years of someone else’s passion. I poured over it and let it fill me up. Still, with every step I take a story weaves itself in my head until my thoughts are full with a rich inner-dialogue from a narrator to the story of my life who sounds just like me. Last year I jumped fast on the overflowing Mommy-blogger bandwagon. It was an excuse to write, a way to feel less alone and a place to find the overwhelming peace that has always come with telling my story. I thank you all for listening. I hope that soon I can find something worth your attention again. It’s been too long since I’ve had a story worth telling. I pride myself on my love affair the silver linings of life and for the past few months those silver linings have receded so far my narrator got lost in the clouds. My inner voice went on a vacation with happiness, passion, self-respect, dignity. I could go on forever. They must have chartered a jet. Rented a whole hotel in Vegas. Like no other this year has been full of the most epic highs and the most devastating lows I hope to ever encounter. There is a story here I’m sure, but not one I’m willing to tell and certainly not the one I thought I’d be writing. The moral to this untold story? Today, for the first time in months I saw the silver lining and the briefest glimpse of my narrator through the clouds. I hope her travelling companions aren’t far behind.


Tomorrow would have been my first wedding anniversary. Instead I’m choosing to let it mark the beginning of my new life. My new year. My new chance. To promise myself to search around every corner for the pieces of myself that went missing until I feel whole again. To stare at the sun and play in the ocean and buy myself a pair of really expensive shoes. To make myself good again. To be myself again. The truth is, if it were just about me I could wallow in the darkness indefinitely, but this year has brought me the biggest reason to always find a silver lining. She’s been the best silver lining I’ve found.


The icon of my fresh start. Wonder. Adventure. Beauty. Gaia.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Risa,

    I started reading about your adventures a few months ago. I was a little concerned when you stopped posting. I wish you the happiest of stories in 2010. Take care of yourself and your angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Risa. Happy New Year. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Risa, you may not remember me, but I knew you back at UBC. I've been reading your blog since you began and often found myself laughing out loud at your amazing perspective on life and motherhood. I hope you find the strength within you to pull out of the darkness and into the light. After following your journey so far, I have no doubt you will. Strength, love and moments of joy to you in 2010. - Surina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow your blog as you know. But what you may not know is how often I've checked in to see what you've written and perhaps you also don't know because I've never left a comment but I love what you write and how you write it! You've made me laugh, cry and see a silver lining. I look forward to whatever you write in the future!

    ReplyDelete